Wednesday 23 January 2013

Wednesday writing - writing werewolf stories




Following on from Monday’s blog in preparation for the release of ‘Collared by Wolves’ on 4 February, the topic today is ‘Why do people like writing werewolf stories?’

I asked a few fellow writers that very question:

Lea Barrymire told me that the answer, for her, lies in her adventures throughout her teen years and the subsequent things she’s experienced as an adult.

‘When I was in high school a man, who was involved in environmental education and animal rescue asked for students willing to work with animals and do grunt work around his compound. My then boyfriend, now husband, and I jumped at the chance. Our first job, and something we did for the three years we were involved with the organization, was butchering roadkill to feed to the animals. Now, for those squeamish folks reading this I won’t go into details, but let me just tell you that there are things I saw and smelled that I will NEVER forget. 

Shortly after we started working for him, he acquired a pair of female wolves. They were pups when they were first brought to his compound. We were two of the first humans introduced as pack. I can't put into words the wondrous awe I felt the first time I held a squirming pup in my arms. To know that I held a wolf pup that would grow into a 80 pound grey wolf was just so inspiring and humbling. Let me tell you, if you have never experienced the power and absolute majestic qualities of wolves you are surely missing something. Even as pups they were strong and dominant. We were constantly being challenged. We took classes from some of the most educated wolf folks in the country. We learned how to be dominant, how to become Alpha within our little pack. I still have scars on my arms and legs from the dominance plays the one female used to pull on me.’  Lea's books are available to buy on Bookstrand.



Stacey Espino'I love to read paranormal romance, so it was only natural for me to start my writing career in the paranormal genre. Since my first book, I've written many types of shifters, but werewolves are one of my favorite. Take a hot, dominant male and add inhuman strength, power, and protectiveness—you can't beat that.

A wolf shifter has unique qualities of loyalty, usually mating for life. They are possessive with a feral, rugged appeal. I find werewolves a fantasy many women can get lost in. 

If you've ever been scared at night or traversed a lonely forest, it's easy to dream of a fearless protector.' Stacey's books are available to buy on Bookstrand.


Susan Laine says what attracts her to werewolf stories is the world building. 'The fantasy genre allows for endless variations of a theme, and there are a lot of ways to depict lycanthropes. They can be the heroes or the villains. They can be mortal or live forever. They can have predestined mates or not. They can shift fully to wolves or only half and half. And when you have all the answers to these questions, that is only the beginning as you build your mythos and the rest of the world around it.

I have written several stories about werewolves, and they are different from each other, exploring a multitude of possible avenues of plot construction and characterization. The Wolfing Way is my first werewolf novella available by Dreamspinner Press, while The Last Werewolf is a collaboration novel done with Jennifer Denys, available by Evernight Publishing. In the former, werewolves are immortal and shift only half way, while in the latter a werewolf is mortal and changes fully into a wolf. So, as you can see: The possibilities are endless. Creativity and imagination are only your first stepping stones.’ Susan Laine's books are available to buy on Bookstrand.



Lori King, however, says there isn’t a specific answer for her but ‘There is just something about a man that embraces his animalistic side that makes me quiver. I never really planned on writing a paranormal story, but I’ve always loved reading them. So, when Devon and Damon Gray (Fire of the Wolf) started visiting my head, and whispering sweet nothings in my ear, I couldn’t ignore them. 

Werewolves are uniquely over the top masculine…let's be real, a man who is so turned on he is physically growling-now that’s a panty dropper! In my mind, and in my stories, werewolves are real men. They are cocky, and sometimes slightly caveman-like. I see them as having a soft teddy bear center, inside their gruff wolf exterior.’ Lori's books are available to buy on Bookstrand.


Janine Ashbless came at her werewolf story from a folkloric/historical standpoint. My first werewolf story, Renaissance,  appeared in my fantasy/erotica collection Cruel Enchantment way back in 2000, which is, I believe, way before shapeshifters became ubiquitous in erotic romance. It’s the story of a Frenchwoman [set in Medieval times] suffering from what appears to be a recurring mental disorder, who is sent off alone, and on foot, to pray for a “cure” at the shrine of an obscure saint. On the way she meets many different people … not by accident … and then they all turn up at the end to take part in her, ahem, “miraculous transformation”. I got a huge kick out of interweaving folklore, medieval Christianity and no-holds-barred group sex into one story! 

Lycanthropy is perfect to write about from an erotic point of view, I think, because the primal urges and appetites of the werewolf function as a larger-than-life metaphor for SEX. Okay … for the overwhelming and irresistible drives of sexual desire. It’s the whole “I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help myself!” thing.’ Janine's books are available to buy on Amazon.




Thank you, everyone. That was really interesting – we’ve had real life experience, an intrigue of the wolf-like qualities such as loyalty and protectiveness, a love of world building, being drawn to the alpha-male/masculine side of their personalities, and folklore. All of which are prime breeding ground for us writers to exploit for our erotic stories!! 

What is my reason? A big part of it is the fact that since werewolves are only folklore I can invent whatever qualities I like! I also think wolves are beautiful creatures and love to bring real wolf behaviours into my stories. And, of course, I LOVE an alpha male..........

If you want to know more about those writers, click on their names and it will take you to their website or blog. Links to their books are also available within each paragraph.


So I wonder what turns you on as a reader? Leave a comment accordingly with your email and the most interesting one will win a copy of my latest book, 'Collared by Wolves'. Competition ends on Saturday 26 January.







Collared by Wolves’ is out for pre-order after tomorrow. Learn more about my story on Monday.

Jen


8 comments:

  1. Whoah! Lea Barrymire's story is THE BEST! How completely awesome - I am green with envy!

    Anyway, thianks for asking me to join in this post Jennifer :-)
    There's a short excert from my medieval story "Renaissance" here:
    http://janineashbless.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/big-bad-wolf.html

    And a post and longer excerpt from my Victorian-gothic erotic-romance werewolf novella "Bound in Skin" here:
    http://lustbites.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/bound-in-skin-gothic-romance-anthology.html

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolves are such fascinating creatures, with a culture that made their descendants, dogs,a perfect fit for the human lifestyle. Its fun to see what writers do with that culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking part Karen. I am going to have three winners and you are one! But I need you to let me have your email so I can send you a copy of the book. Email me at jennifer.denys@yahoo.com by the end of Monday in order to claim your prize.

      All good wishes

      Jen

      Delete
  3. I prefer werewolves and shifters over vampires most often. It's the hot-blooded Alpha personality, I think. And the amazing ways they can become furry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking part Tracey. I am going to have three winners and you are one! But I need you to let me have your email so I can send you a copy of the book. Email me at jennifer.denys@yahoo.com by the end of Monday in order to claim your prize.

      All good wishes

      Jen

      Delete
  4. I like shifters, wolves specifically because they get to inhabit two worlds. They have pack families that support and take care of each other, and smoking hot alpha males!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love werewolves and shifters because they get to inhabit two worlds. they interact in pack hierarchy and real word scenarios. the pack families support and care for each other, and there are smokin hot alpha males to lust after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both your answers, Lisa! I am going to have three winners and you are one! But I need you to let me have your email so I can send you a copy of the book. Email me at jennifer.denys@yahoo.com by the end of Monday in order to claim your prize.

      All good wishes

      Jen

      Delete